OMEGA Cremation & Burial Services
About Us
Memorial and Funeral Services
Cremation Options
Price Listing
Burial Service Packages
Cremation Service Packages
SS/Veterans Benefits
Contact Us
Follow Us on Facebook



Omega Funeral & Cremation Service can assist you with Social Security Benefits by filing a claim for the lump sum Social Security Death Benefit, which you or your family may be eligible. A death certificate is not needed for this one time benefit of 255.00 and usually requires about 6 weeks to be paid to the eligible survivor.

If the deceased person is receiving benefits, you will need to contact Social Security and report the death.

Special one-time payment:
In addition monthly payments for family members, one-time payment of 255.00 can be paid to a spouse who was living with the worker at the time of death. If there is no spouse, one time payment can be made to:
• a child or children eligible for benefits.
The payment cannot be made if there is no eligible spouse or child.

Who can get survivors benefits?
Here is a list of family who usually can get benefits:
• Widows and widowers age 60 or older
• Widows and widowers at any age if caring for the deceased's child or children who are 16 years or disabled.
• Divorced wives and husbands age 60 or older, if married to the deceased for 10 or more years.
• Widows, widowers, divorced wives/husbands age 50 or older, if they are disabled.
• Children up to age 18
• Children 18 - 19, if they attend high school full time.
• Children over age 18, if they became disabled before age 22.
• The deceased worker's parents age 62 or older, if the worker was supporting them.

How to Apply for Benefits:
You can apply for benefits by telephone or by going to any Social Security office. You may need some of the documents shown on the list below. Do not delay your application because you don't have all the information. If you don't have a document you need, Social Security can help you obtain it.

Information needed to apply for benefits:
• Your Social Security number and the deceased worker's Social Security number.
• A death certificate. (Generally, the funeral director provides a statement that can be used for this purpose.)
• Proof of the deceased worker's earnings for last year. (W-2 forms or self-employed tax return.)
• Your birth certificate
• A marriage certificate, if you are applying for benefits as a widow, widower, divorced wife or husband.
• A divorce decree, if you are applying for benefits as a divorced spouse.
• Children's birth certificates and Social Security numbers, if applying for children's benefits.
• Your checking or savings account information, if you want direct deposit of your benefits.

You will need to submit original documents or certified copies. You can mail or bring them to the Social Security office. Social Security will make photocopies and return your documents. For more information please write to any Social Security office or phone toll free at 1-800-772-1213. You can speak with representative weekdays 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.


  Copyright © 2000-2011 Omega Funeral & Cremation Services, Portland Oregon